One problem we run into quite frequently here in North Texas is homes that have pipe or water heater damage from hard water.
What is Hard Water?
According to the United States Geological Survey, “The simple definition of water hardness is the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water. Hard water is high in dissolved minerals, largely calcium and magnesium. You may have felt the effects of hard water, literally, the last time you washed your hands. Depending on the hardness of your water, after using soap to wash, you may have felt like there was a film of residue left on your hands. This is because soap reacts with calcium (relatively high in hard water) to form “soap scum” in hard water. When using hard water, more soap or detergent is needed to get things clean, be it your hands, hair, or your laundry.” They go on to state that “Many industrial and domestic water users are concerned about the hardness of their water. When hard water is heated, such as in a home water heater, solid calcium carbonate deposits can form. This scale can reduce the life of equipment, raise the costs of heating the water, lower the efficiency of electric water heaters, and clog pipes.”
Do Water Softeners Work?
At Still Waters Plumbing, one of the most common questions we get from our customers is “Do Water Softeners Work?” Our short answer – not really. As explained above, water softeners do precisely what the name suggests – they turn hard water into soft water by stripping the water of the minerals like calcium and magnesium. The catch is that we need these minerals, just not in such a large quantity.
What’s our Solution?
Throughout our years of experience in north Texas, the best solution for treating hard water is with a product called FlowTech Home. Flow-Tech Home neutralizes the magnesium and calcium ions in your hard water, allowing them to stay in your water and go out with flow – instead of sticking to your pipes and appliances.
See the advantages of using a FlowTech system below!
- No maintenance is required. Stop moving heavy salts and chemicals associated with traditional water softeners. After being installed by a Flow-Tech certified plumbing contractor, your new Flow-Tech system requires no ongoing maintenance.
- Save money. Flow-Tech Home users eliminate the ongoing costs of salt and are able to reduce detergent costs by as much as $180 per year.
- No slick or slimy feel. If you have a water softener, you’re more than likely to know what this feels like. Get rid of it for good.
- Remove existing scale. Once installed, Flow-Tech will immediately begin working to dissolve any existing limescale within your plumbing system. The treated minerals form seed crystals that remain in suspension and are harmlessly washed away with flow.
- Prevent future scale build-up. Flow-Tech manipulates the minerals in your water to stick to each other, instead of sticking to your pipes, fixtures, and faucets.
- Experience the full benefit of the calcium and magnesium in your water. Water softeners eliminate these minerals from your water to prevent scale build-up. The truth is, these minerals are good for our health. Keep the minerals in your water, and give your body the nutrients it deserves.
- Treat all the water in your house. Flow-Tech has the unique ability to send a treatment signal throughout your whole plumbing system, whether the water is moving or not, compared to other physical water treatment systems or conditioners.
- Increase energy efficiency. If you have hard water and have scale build-up throughout your plumbing system, you can have an efficiency loss as high as 40%. Flow-Tech will eliminate and prevent scale build-up throughout your home, increasing flow and efficiency and ultimately keeping more money in your pocket.
- Environmentally-friendly. Flow-Tech Home was designed to be 100% environmentally-safe and eco-friendly. By eliminating the need for traditional water softeners, fewer salts and chemicals are being flushed into the surrounding ecosystem.
- Save space and reduce clutter. At 4″ x 6″, your new Flow-Tech Home takes up minimal space, can be mounted on any wall, and removes the need for unnecessary clutter and salt storage.
If you are curious about implementing a FlowTech Home system or think your home is suffering from hard or soft water, contact Still Waters Plumbing today!